Concealed Weapons Laws in Florida
In Florida, you have to have a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm. Under Section 790.01, if a person carries a concealed weapon or firearm without a license, they commit a misdemeanor of the first degree.
If a person is not a resident of Florida, but he or she is a United States citizen, and they have a concealed weapon license from another state, they may carry a concealed weapon or firearm in Florida if they:
- Are at least 21 years of age;
- Have in their possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm, which was issued in their home state; and
- Are a U.S. citizen.
Under Section 790.053, it is illegal in Florida to openly carry any firearm or electric weapon or device.
However, it is not illegal for someone with a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm and to briefly open or display the firearm in the sight of another person. But, the person cannot do this in an angry or threatening manner that is not self-defense.
Qualifying for a Concealed Weapon License
In Florida, the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services issues licenses for concealed weapons or firearms to qualified individuals. To qualify for such a license, you must:
- Be 21 or older:
- Not convicted of a felony;
- Not have a physical impairment that prohibits safe handling of a weapon or firearm;
- Not be convicted of a drug crime in the past 3 years;
- Not have a drug or alcohol abuse problem;
- Have not been committed to a mental institution in the past 5 years;
- Not have an injunction for domestic violence; and
- Complete a state-approved firearm safety training course.
While concealed weapons and firearms are great for self-defense, that doesn't mean that it's legal to bring them just anywhere.
In Florida, there are a host of places that a civilian cannot bring a concealed firearm or weapon into, including: police stations, detention facilities, jail or prison, courthouses, schools, polling places, colleges, career centers, bars, nightclubs, and other establishments that sell alcohol.